We took the PT Pintcast on the college tour to Sacred Heart University in Connecticut and talked to Jay Grimes and our Sunny and Ali from Aureus Medical Staffing along with Sacred Heart students. We also talked to students along with our friends from Aureus Medical Staffing.
Jason K. Grimes, PT, PhD, OCS, ATC
Clinical Associate Professor
Jay has been employed full-time with Sacred Heart University since 2008, first as a Clinical Physical Therapist and then accepting an appointment to Clinical Assistant Professor in August, 2010. He was awarded promotion to Clinical Associate Professor in 2017. His teaching responsibilities have been focused in the area of Musculoskeletal Examination and Intervention in the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.
Jay remains active in clinical practice, focusing on orthopedic pathology with a particular interest in the shoulder. He has completed additional training in multiple areas including manual therapy through the University of St. Augustine, Functional Capacity Evaluations, and golf performance enhancement. He obtained board certification as a Clinical Specialist in Orthopedic Physical Therapy by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties in 2007.
Professor Grimes has been an active member of the American Physical Therapy Association and the Connecticut Physical Therapy Association since 2000. In 2003, he received APTA’s Mary McMillan Award.
- Orthopedic physical therapy
Degrees and Certifications
- BS, Physical Therapy, Quinnipiac University
- MPT, Physical Therapy, Quinnipiac University
- Ph.D. in Physical Therapy, Nova Southeastern University
Specialty or Specialist Certification/Training
- Orthopedic Certified Specialist (OCS) by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties
- PT 621 – Examination and Documentation I, PT 724 – Examination and Documentation IV
Research Interests and Grants
- Scapular kinematics and shoulder function
- Manual therapy
- Symptom modification tests
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapists. 2014 OPTP grant
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Manual Physical Therapists. 2013 OPTP grant
- Sacred Heart University ACT grant, Academic Year 2011-2012
Awards and Fellowships
- SHU Teaching Excellence Award 2016-2017
- American Physical Therapy Association’s Mary McMillan Award, 2003
Publications and Presentations